Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Aloha-- Ward Luau

At the end of last year, the ward that Brendan and I were in got split. We ended up in a new ward and a new building. It was kind of neat being apart of a newly established ward. We went a couple of months with not having callings. But then one week, we got called into the Bishop's Office. Brendan got called as the Priest Quorum Advisor, which he is loving and has been such a great experience for him. I got called as a "Primary Worker." My first thought and reaction was, "Well at least I didn't get called into the Nursery." Now, don't take this the wrong way, I love kids. It is just that, I really enjoy Sunday School and Relief Society.
So the next week, I was called by the Primary President to get my specific Primary calling, the telephone conversation went something like this:


Primary President: Hi Nikki, I heard you accepted the calling as a Primary Worker, well specifically we want you in the Nursery.
Nikki: DEAD Silence, more dead silence
Primary President: Is that alright?
Nikki: Sure. I guess that is fine.


While really I was thinking, are you kidding me?? Well so a couple of weeks went by and really I did like Nursery and loved the kids in my class. But I did complain to anyone that would listen to me and I just felt like, well, what do they want us NEVER to have children??


So about three weeks into my calling, I wake up to find 3 missed calls, all from the Bishop. I quickly called him back, he wanted to see me right away and for sure before Church started. I threw on some church clothes and headed out the door. My biggest fear is that because of my poor attitude towards my calling, the Bishop would be rebuking me to repentance.


Well when I got in the Bishop's Office, his first question was "So, How do you like your calling?"
And knowing for sure I couldn't lie to the Bishop, I replied, "Well, it is definitely interesting and really different from anything that I have done before." He then explained to me that there had come a need to change my calling. I was then called as the Activity Chair of our Ward!! I was so excited, I love planning parties and activities.


I felt so bad about my poor attitude towards the Nursery, that I told the Primary President that I would stay in Nursery until they found someone to replace me, which now I regret somewhat as I am still in Nursery!! :) Lesson learned on having a bad attitude!!


Our first Ward Activity was last weekend. We put on a Ward Luau. It was so much fun and such good food. One of the missionaries that is in our Stake is from Tonga, he came and did the Haka Dance for us and taught all the little boys in the ward some of his moves. We also did a Hula Hoop Contest for the Male Leadership in our ward. I have posted some pictures for your viewing pleasure!!


ALOHA!!!

No comments: